Thursday, March 31, 2011

My night on Jelly Mountain

As I slipped out of the back door I felt a twang of sadness as I looked up at the home I had known as a child. But that was behind me now. I tiptoed to the back of the house where my quad bike was kept. I turned the ignition key and the engine started up in a soft low purr. Swinging my leg onto the bike and hauling myself up, I pointed my bike away from the house. Soon I was heading towards the entrance to Jelly Mountain.

Half an hour later I was crawling through the tunnel to the top of Jelly Mountain. As I reached the top I was almost blown over with the force of the wind. It was a very chilly wind and I was only wearing shorts, a t-shirt, and sandals. I tried to make a fire but the wind kept blowing it out as it roared around me like a pack of hungry lions. Suddenly I heard a commotion that (surprisingly) was louder than the wind. As I entered the tuatara clearing an amazing sight met my eyes. A young huia was surrounded by the Jelly mountain tuatara and was making an ear splitting racket. I rushed into the clearing, scooped up the little huia, and ran out again. I had completely forgotten about the wind and it nearly blew the tiny bird out of my arms. Suddenly my common sense kicked in. I lowered myself into the pit that I had had to climb up earlier that evening. As I plopped the little huia onto the ground my stomach growled. I pulled a cheese sandwich out of my pocket that I had nicked from the pantry earlier. I sighed and looked at the half-starved animal. He probably needed it more than I did. I held out the sandwich to him. He snatched it from me and began to devour it. I piled some leaves together and lay down. Pretty soon I was asleep.

The next morning I woke up and it looked like it was midday. The sun was blazing and it was extremely hot. I went off in search of food. I found a refreshing looking bush with juicy looking raspberries that were just ripe. When I returned I shared the berries with the huia who I named 'Hu-hu' Later that day I discovered an old well and got some surprisingly fresh water. I made up my mind right that instant to live on Jelly mountain for the rest of my life. Who knows? Maybe, when I'm older, I might write about this adventure. I'll call it: My night on Jelly Mountain....

5 comments:

  1. Wow Libby, I am so impressed with the imagery you have used in your story and I'm sure Des Hunt would be keen to include this as part of the Untold Story of Jelly Mountain. I love how you have taken the advice of writing a full circle ending. You are a star!
    Mrs Stewart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Libby this is impressive writing. I could picture quite clearly the scene on Jelly Mountain as you snatched up the huia and ran. Sometimes too many adjectives can get in the way but you use descriptive language sparingly with good effect. Great stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Libby!!! What an amazing story you have created! Some of your vocabulary really blew me away. Would it be okay with you if I shared this with my class???
    Mrs Eilken=)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Libby! I thought Des Hunt wrote this. I love the imagery and what a good start to your goal towards writing full circle endings. Now I'll have to read the book too - you've sparked my interest.

    Mum

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow Libby!!! that was such a cool story. I love the ending; your mum was right! I thought Des Hunt wrote this too! I wish there was more :(

    Oh well,- I can't wait to read jason's version of it! he! he! he!
    Bye.
    laura:)XXX

    ReplyDelete